Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Another intro and question

Hi, I'm Monica. I've only been knitting for about a year and a half, so I tend to ask silly questions. I'm so anxious to get my yarn and swatch it! I've been playing with my handspun singles to learn how to read charts. Did I mention that I've never knit from charts? Anyways, my sample with the handspun is pinned out and blocking right now. I'm going to give it to my dd for a doll's shawl. So, on to my question. How do you knit up a gauge swatch for knitting? do you measure after it's blocked? I tend to knit very loose, averaging going down 2-3 needle sizes, but I've never gauged lace before, so I'm unsure how to do it. I also can't wait to see how everyone's shawls turn out. It's such a beautiful pattern!

Monica
in wild Wyoming! Love those mountains!

3 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Miriam said...

Gauge on a shawl isn't quite so critical as on a sweater... if it's a little tighter gauge, then you get a smaller shawl, if it's a little looser, you get a little larger shawl. The key is to get a fabric that you like with the needles you choose.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Birdsong said...

I took a lace class online last spring, and the coolest trick I got from it was to stop early in the process (I was increasing as I go as with this shawl), pin out and steam-block your work to see how the mix of yarn and needles is working. Does it give you the look you want, look too loose and sloppy, or too thick because you should go up a needle size? I plan to do this after the first 24 rows of chart #1 to see how it's going, and will post a photo.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Monica said...

I like this idea, birdsong!! The yarn I'm using has like 850 yards, so that's plenty to play with a bit. I really need to figure out how to post pics on here...lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home