Friday, March 10, 2006

Lace ... with Mountain

Appropriate?

This is an "early stages" photo of my Mountain Peaks Shawl from the balcony at home, where our view is from the side of one mountain, down over a wide valley, to another range. The mountains don't look impressive in the photo (giant cake of wool does, though), but if you stood at the base of one of them (mountains, not wool) it would look pretty darned majestic!

The wool is hand dyed fingering weight 100% worsted spun wool from Lisa Souza, in the colourway "Pumpkin". It is very soft, not at all clingy, and wonderful to work with. I should have more than enough (really, way way more than enough) as the skein was over 1750 yards.

Just to make things difficult (I'm one of those people) I'm doing my shawl in three triangles, instead of two (I want more of a wrap than a shawl). Things are going well so far - this photo was taken right after I finished the first repeat of Chart 1. So, two more repeats of Chart 1 and 3 more charts to go.

I'm really looking forward to seeing other shawls and scarves in process - pictures, people, pictures!

And, I can't wait to get to the blocking part: my absolute favorite part of making lace is watching the pre- to post-blocked transformation. Okay, got floors to vacuum, bathrooms to clean, and am going to ignore all of that in favour of starting the second repeat of Chart 1!

3 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

That's a perfect setting, Logan.

You're in Alberta, Canada? Beautiful, beautiful country. I checked because of the Lisa Souza reference, who lives a town over from me. I've got some of her Eldorado yarn that might want to be the Mountain shawl.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger marie in florida said...

beautiful!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home