Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Quick Question

Greetings, all!

Since this is my first time working with laceweight, I have a quick question for you kids: when you wind laceweight yarn (Alpaca With a Twist Fino in Rose Petal) on a ballwinder, do you work from the outside of the ball, or from the center? The meagre instructions that came with my ballwinder imply that you should knit from the outside with laceweight - which seems logical (don't want to break the delicate yarn), but cumbersome. Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!

4 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Miriam said...

working from the outside is the BEST way to knit with laceweight. All laceweight. The ball doesn't barf tangles of tiny yarn. My suggestion is to stick the ball into a ziploc bag, and zip most of it shut with just a little opening for the yarn to slip through. It keeps the ball from getting tangley in your bag, but you can still pull from the outside easily.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Chicki Too! said...

I also find it useful to wind the ball a couple of times. I wound it the first time and then pulling from the outside I wind it again making the ball much looser. Keeps from stretching the yarn!

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous susan said...

I always knit from the inside and have never had any trouble with tangled yarn.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I was told with my first lace knitting project to work from the outside of the yarn, mainly because that particular yarn was over 1200 yards in the ball. The lady at the store pointed out that if I worked from the inside, it would eventually just get wonky and weird as I used the yarn, very floppy if that makes sense. So with a very large ball like that, working from the outside is really important.

I keep it in a ziploc and pull it out of a small opening too to prevent tangles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home