Sunday, April 02, 2006

A Tale of Two Laces


As you can see, I have not gotten very far on the Mountain Peaks shawl; the yarn is an enticing Knitpicks baby alpaca so that is not the reason. It has something to do with my not being able to "see" the pattern unfold; I am good at charts, but also need to see in my knitting what's going on, so this morning I pinned out the work, only about a fourth of the way through the first repeat of the first chart, in order to see if there were any errors. The flaw in this process was that some stitches fell off the needle on one side, creating an error, which I had to tink back one row to fix; note the pale yellow lifeline - it's my insurance policy that I luckily didn't need to draw upon this time. I can tell that knitting with laceweight yarn is going to take longer than any of the other knitting I have done over the years, and require a greater leap of faith than any other too... I won't be able to pin this out as I get a bit further along, and will have to rely on "keeping the count" and matching the chart, and hoping I don't make some ghastly error that won't show up until blocked. I won't spend much more of our communal space waxing philosophical; more on my own site.

In response to my painful slowness, and my "G is for Green" post a few days ago, I finally capitulated to the siren song of this lovely dark green Garnstudio Silke-Woole, and started Mountain Stream yesterday evening while the rice finished steaming for our Moroccan Chicken supper.


I was just amazed at how differently my mind/body connection responded to this pattern. I whizzed through the bottom border, was able to converse with my DH, and even take a slight peek at what he was watching on the toob last night. Here's Mountain Stream, photographed early this morning, after one repeat from the body chart. I have managed to get in another this afternoon. I do heartily believe in having projects that provide different levels of learning and satisfaction, while not necessarily abusing my hands in exactly the same way, so will be working on these two interchageably, and probably still making my way up to speed on my shawl long after the rest of ya'll finish.

3 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous susan said...

See, I told you it was an easy pattern if you just follow along. ;)

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

They both look good!

Laceweight shawls knitted in lace take MUCH longer than the nice little scarf.

I agree, I often have an easy project along with my "tougher" lace patterns.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

I always seem to have more than one project on the go, so I completely understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home